Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Salads & Magazines

I read in one of my old Food & Wine mags (I think) that Bobby Flay eats a salad for dinner every night.  Wouldn't that be awesome to have a salad prepared by him - every day?????

Behind reading my subscriptions, my procrastination again paid off when Gourmet shut the doors and ceased publication.  I had kept them all - and I still go back and read them.

Bon Apetit is not the same - I cringe when I read it sometimes.  It's targeting the gen-xyz crowd (of which I am supposedly a member), and I have to say many articles come across as written by opinionated, spoiled, self-centered "all about me", similar to many other people I in fact either work with or am related to ("oh quit the drams") in the subject population. 

Here's one recent article: "Why Hotels are better than B&Bs".  Don't you think that's a matter of opinion?  Having stayed at thousands of hotels during my consulting gigs, and many B&B's, I can tell you that I have NEVER seen a "Thank you for checking under the bed, we regularly inspect and clean here to ensure you have not lost any items." sign under a bed in a hotel.  I have seen that at a B&B, and under the bed was sparkling clean.

I also appreciated the gourmet snacks, made from scratch in one B&B by the chef, Hope, whose mother had been the chef before her.   From a food magazine extolling cooking, I'm surprised they are promoting junk food in a minibar.   At least I didn't pay for the subscription; it was gifted along with Fine Cooking, which as a publication appears to be more palatable (at least to this self-centered gen-xyz-er).

Here is a list of easy salads, let me know if you have any other suggestions (but you are on your own with quantities & measurements):

apple goat cheese walnut
honey balsamic vinaigrette
romaine
apples
walnuts
quorn chicken (or real chx if you eat meat)
dried cranberries
goat cheese


cobb
mixed greens
chicken
tomatoes
avocados
bacon (fake or real, depending on your dietary preference)
blue cheese
blue cheese or ranch dressing

asian crunch
red cabbage shreds
romaine
chile oil, hot sweet chile sauce, & lime mixed for dressing
toasted almonds
won tons?
carrot shreds
jicama
chives or green onions
tofu (marinated, baked or sauteed)
edamame
cucumber
cilantro

greek*
romaine
parsley/dill
lemon juice/olive oil
oregano
red onion
tomatoes
feta
capers
cucumbers
chickpeas
greek olives


spinach
spinach
mushrooms - roasted
onions - roasted
chickpeas
bacon (or fake bacon)
croutons
balsamic vinaigrette


taco
pico de gallo
chorizo (fake soyrizo or field roast's)
mixed greens
avocado
vegan sr. cream or lowfat
shredded carrot
dressing
tortilla strips


tempeh
gr. onion
bell pepper
tempeh (steamed)
tamari almonds
tamari
mayo/veganaise
parsley




Roasted Beet Salad
Roasted chopped beets (coat whole beets w/ skins on w/ olive oil & sprinkle sea salt, roast at 375 until done, peel)
Goat cheese
Tomatoes
Olive oil, champagne vinegar & herb dressing
Marcona almonds
Spring mix




No comments:

Post a Comment