Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Eating for Eczema, Erosive Lichen Planus, Contact Dermatitis & Skin Diseases in general

We all get something - and a wise woman once told me, "you are guaranteed nothing in life but death, taxes and maintenance".   Debashis, with his Hindu upbringing, truncates this to "you are guaranteed nothing in life but suffering".

Being an optimist (realist?), I believe we all are subjected to whatever life throws at us, and how we each manage that is non-deterministic.  I was diagnosed with auto-immune disorders of the skin ~2003, and that was the kickstart of really studying my environmental and genetic factors.   It led me to move states, change jobs, switch industries, and totally overhaul my lifestyle.  Everything down to the kind of gum I chew, the soap I wash my hands with and the air I breathe.

My diagnoses in western medicine were erosive lichen planus and eczema.  The erosive lichen planus was first, and that was scary.  If you google it for images, it's not fun.  Those of you suffering from it know, life is hell.  It's painful, the pain doesn't go away, the irritation is continuous and it affects your entire life.  You would wish it on no one, and do anything you could to cure it. I think many of us feel that way about our struggles.  I was determined to manage it, and keep it mild, no matter what I needed to do.  The diagnosing oral surgeons took photos of my mouth "This is a classic textbook case study, do you mind if we photograph this?".  Geez!  I remember their exact words "We don't know what causes this, and we don't know what makes it go away, and there is little to treat it".  Well, I've been working on it ever since.  My dentist is amazed at what I have managed to do with it. 

Those of you suffering with auto-immune disorders know that it is difficult to pin down what caused it, what will make it go away.  Is there ever a "cure"?  I work towards managing my condition, and try to do so with as little pharmaceutical intervention as possible. My uncle,  a Toxicologist and retired Dean of Pharmacy, told me, "Don't take any pharmaceuticals unless you absolutely have to".  Everyone has a different situation, and everyone needs to do what is right for them.  There have been times when I have been on heavy-duty antibiotics, steroids and immuno-suppressants, and I had to do it.  My goal is to try to manage things such that my body doesn't get so out-of-whack that I have to resort to such extremes.  Out of this exploration of my environment and living habits came an analysis of what I was ingesting and putting into (an onto) my body.

Things that have helped me:
  • Fish oil capsules (yes, I am vegetarian, except for this, and it was hard to take these at first).  I only started this when I was expecting Arundhati and the research clearly indicates that DHA is linked to neurological development, so I couldn't let my personal preferences stunt her optimal development.  I take New Chapter Wholemegas but there are lots of good brands out there.
  • Eating fresh and organic, as much as possible
  • Eating at home (not restaurant food).  This eliminates flavorings, dyes, preservatives, etc.
  • Cutting out coffee (this was really hard).  I have a cup once in a while, just as a treat.
  • Being conscious of what I eat, and if I have an attack trying to examine what I ate to see if that triggered it. 
  • Using fragrance-free anything.  I recently learned about a non-profit Women's Voices for the Earth that is working towards eliminating harmful chemicals in our environment.  You can check them out here. Apparently contact dermatitis is more common than you realize.
  • Mild, organic, plant based cleansers and body care products.  Weleda, Jurlique, Haushka, there are many others.  They are pricey and worth every penny.  If the product is good, they will have samples, and if they stand by their products, they will take them back if they don't work for you.  I also resort to food-grade items like olive oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, ground almonds, etc.  I figure if its safe to eat, it's probably safe to put on my skin.
  • Use bar soap, not liquid soaps.  What is it about liquid soaps that dries out my skin?
  • Mint-free toothpaste and mouth washes.  My erosive lichen planus struck in the mouth, and mint toothpastes rip up my mouth.  I use Auromere mint-free, Vicco, there are others. 
  • Keeping the dust and allergens around me minimized.  We no longer have animals in the house, and I think that helps.  We have always had wood or tile floors, so even when we did have animals it was easy to clean and disinfect.
  • Calming lavendar or salt baths.  These help, but I've run the water too hot and scalded myself.  Oops.  It felt good at the time, really it did.

Things I am pretty sure (99.99%) trigger attacks for me:
  • stress (hormonal swings, etc.).  When I get stressed, you can pretty much be guaranteed I'm going to have an attack.
  • foods like chili, mint, citrus, nuts
  • heat - exertion on hot days (this could be stress related)
  • red wines (some, not all)
  • vinegars
Have you noticed anything that triggers attacks?  Let me know what works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment